Treforest FC

Founded originally around 1921 as Treforest Red Rovers,

Division Champions 1966/67

Treforest FC

The ideal venue for parties, wedding receptions, and for business meetings.

     

     

History of Treforest FC


Treforest Football Club is justifiably proud of its home at the “White Tips” Stadium.
The impressive modern clubhouse, and supporting infrastructure is the envy of the majority of football clubs in South Wales.

However, it wasn't always the case. Treforest Football Club started life in the very early 1920s as the Treforest Red Rovers, and has been in continuous existence ever since. Like most other teams at this time the facilities available to the “Rovers” were barely adequate. Nevertheless they got by, and eventually Treforest Red Rovers became Park Rovers. The middle of the 1930’s saw the emergence of another local team “Park Guild”. From that day a very healthy rivalry ensued between the “Rovers” and the “Guild”.


Forest Iron & Steel works

Forest Iron & Steel works
which forms the site of the playing field.




Division Champions 1966/67



The succesful club team who won the
senior division championship for the first time in 1966/67

     
 

Founded originally around 1921 as Treforest Red Rovers, Treforest FC is a progressive community based football club from the home village of the University of Glamorgan, which is just a five minute walk away.

Left: A Team from the late 1940's.
     



The playing pitch was hewn out of the limestone deposits by local men during the depression in the 1930's - hence the name "White Tips".

Right:Local men created the pitch in the 1930's.
 


Following the Second World War both teams acquired their own Clubhouses. On the playing side they were served by pitches affectionately known as the “Top tips” and the “Bottom Tips”; both of which had been grafted out of the old iron ore slag tip left behind after the demise of the Crawshay Iron Works formerly situated on the site. Unfortunately, by the mid 1970s both club premises were in a state of disrepair. A council owned and totally inadequate facility on the site of the “Rovers” Clubhouse replaced them in 1979.

Changing Rooms

Second changing rooms after previous ones burnt down


In 1986 a “focusing of minds” resulted in the merger of the “Rovers” and the “Guild”, with the express desire to build an appropriate infrastructure within which local soccer could flourish and grow. The new club took the name Treforest Football Club

In 1987, with the club’s objectives clearly set out in a constitution drawn up by lawyer Lord Gwilym Preece-Davies,
sufficient funding was agreed with the Taff-Ely Borough Council and Bass Brewers to commence phase 1 of the Club’s infrastructure development.

The new premises was opened on 20 April 1989 and consisted of a clubhouse, lounge area and changing rooms. Phase 2 was completed in July 1993. This brought Treforest Football Club its present clubhouse and changing room infrastructure. In January 1996 work commenced on phase 3 of the business plan, which completed the external facilities we now enjoy including floodlights, stand and car parking.

 

It has been a hard slog, many obstacles have been overcome, and many petty jealousies encountered. Fortunately our reserve has been stoic, and we have developed facilities to be proud of
.
One of the defining moments in the history of Treforest Football Club however came in June 1997 when Phillip Rees QC, Chairman of an arbitration tribunal stated that the arbitration panel voted unanimously in favour of the club’s bid to become Full Members of the Football Association of Wales. His closing statement reads:

 

“The efforts, achievements and example of Treforest should be considered to ride in tandem as one of the finest examples of the way ahead. Treforest’s case for full membership could not in our views be stronger. Their admission to full membership would enable them to have a most constructive influence on the successful development of association football in Wales.”


Of that we are justifiably proud also. Treforest Football Club became full members of the FAW in August of that year.


1st Management Committee 1989  
Park Rovers who proceded Treforst F.C Late 1970's Eearly 1980's


West Bromwich Albion using Treforest pitch for pre-season training


West Bromwich Albion Management team 1995